- There's two big bowls of tomatoes and cucumbers I picked on Monday that still need to be taken care of.
- Brett said last night that "maybe I should take care of his laundry". Maybe.
- Brett's 1st day of school is Wednesday, September 2nd. 1/2 the kids go on Tuesday and the other half starts on Wednesday. Monday night we go to the school open house, meet Mrs. K and see the classroom. And unload all those school supplies.
- Brett started piano lessons this week. It's a bit of a late evening lesson (8 pm) but we'll take it until something else opens up. We do not have a piano but we do have a full keyboard so we'll start on that. Brett will be learning keyboard in music class this year as well. We are very pleased with the teacher after meeting her & observing. Brett protested every time I talked to him about lessons but he enjoyed it and was excited after trying it. I knew he would be. He was concerned he wouldn't remember left from right and that he didn't know enough for lessons. : )
- Guess we missed sign up for fall soccer. I totally forgot to check into it. That's OK, I think spring soccer is enough.
- Trying to think of how we'll celebrate Brett's birthday this year. No ideas yet. He wants to have a sleep over but I'm not sure if 1st graders are ready for that. He would have no problem sleeping over at someone's house, but I can just see little boys crying to go home in the middle of the night. We're having a family party on Saturday, Sept. 5th.
- Day care has been very busy this week. Two full time kids are back, including a 4 month old, plus all the school agers/regular kids. My new food program rep showed up in the middle of it all. Next week things calm down with 4 going back to school. I now have 13 enrolled with several being very part-time but 6 are full-time.
- Sometimes it seems like all you hear are the negative things but this week, I realized I've had nice postive feedback including: 1. Email about my website from a complete stranger in CA. I often get requests for info or direction (& most do not even reply or say thank you)- she wanted to know how I put together my activity calendar & enjoyed my website. 2. New boy's Grma said my newsletter was "impressive". 3. New boy #2's mom said after two days in my care, her son's temperament was noticeably different/improved. I haven't done anything specific. He is wonderfully behaved & I've only asked him to use a quieter voice at times. I chalk it up to routine, activities and the environment/influence of the other kids.
- I do have an awful lot to live up to so now it's time to get my kitchen up to an acceptable level of cleanliness...
Friday, August 28
Thursday, August 27
Friday, August 21
Monday, August 17
The sea is constant change - and infinite unity. Reminding me of our mortality - and that we are all part of eternal life....
(On a picture in our room. I like the saying.)
Sunday, August 16
Thursday, August 13
Yesterday we read The Rainbow Fish and made these cute paper fish with paper plates, construction paper and scrapbooking paper. I used to the circle cutter on for various sized circles. The two red fish not pictured turned out so cute too!
One of the best things we did this summer - we made our own sidewalk paint.
SUPPLIES: ¼ cup cornstarch ¼ cup cold water 6 to 8 drops of food coloring DIRECTIONS: 1. Put cornstarch in a small plastic bowl and gradually stir in the cold water. 2. Add your desired food coloring and stir. 3. If the paint still feels too dry, just add a little more water until you get the consistency you prefer. 4. Repeat the process to create different colors. This sidewalk paint washes off very easily and will not harm surfaces or plants … cornstarch is all natural and biodegradable.
Sunday, August 9
Saturday, August 8
Friday, August 7
I told Brett I wanted to take his picture by the sunflowers on Wedneday night before meeting. We forgot though. On the way home Brett said "we forgot to take pictures by the sunflowers but that's okay because I didn't want to." So I got him today.
My garden is always an experiment. It's so small & I planted too much. The beans & peas are not getting enough sun next to the raspberries. We don't get a lot of raspberries anyway since we just have a few. Last year we had waaay too many cucumbers so this year that's under control & we'll have a lot of tomatoes instead which I'm very happy with. The little guords took up too much space. I would plant onions again but not carrots. This onion probably shouldn't have been pulled yet but they are getting covered with vines & it didn't appear to be growing much. It's probably the best one out of all of them. The tomoatoes are a smaller variety from the patio tomato pot. Bottom line: I need a bigger garden.
Wednesday, August 5
- A new little boy started day care on Monday. He's been a bit of handful or a challenge. Not an impossible one, just one that requires much more patience & dedication than I've had to give in a while. He seems to be responding to the Supernanny-style time out technique. (I don't think it should be called "the naughty" anything.)
- I should be hearing from the other interview by Friday. She wants to bring her son here, just depends on what assistance covers. If that doesn't work out, or the one I referred to above, I have another lead for a ANOTHER 4 yr old boy. ****He starts on the 24th!****
- Last night I suprised Damon. I arranged a babysitter (which was pure luck to get her at the last minute or any time for that matter) and I called Damon at work and "asked him out." I didn't tell him where we were going/what we're doing until we left. We went to dinner at a place we've never been to before. We ate outside along the river & it was a beautiful night. It was good to get away & have some fun.
- What to do with 2 heads of cabbage? It was given to me and now I should use it. Neither of us love it but we'll eat it. I have a couple ideas, but either way, it's a lot of cabbage! We also got a big cauliflower and green beans.
- Need to start packing for vacation next week! I'll look forward to the trip once I'm in the car. I don't think I'm really anticipating it like usual since we didn't do the planning of it (going with Julie & family) and because of the drive. And everything else on my mind like:
- The rest of this month is going to fly by. I'm not ready. For school. For convention, for birthdays, for schedule changes, for summer to be over. I'm not going to think about it til later!